• Economy
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Editor’s Pick
Market Gains Updates
Sports

Team stands by player accused of racially abusing Real Madrid star

by February 18, 2026
by February 18, 2026

Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni has denied racially insulting Real Madrid star Vinícius Júnior during a Champions League match on Tuesday, Feb. 17.

Vinícius scored the game’s only goal in the 50th minute, but the match was marred by a confrontation between the Brazilian and Prestianni just five minutes later.

Prestianni covered his mouth with his jersey when approaching the 25-year-old, with nearby Real Madrid players signaling that the Argentine had made a racial insult.

Television footage appeared to show Vinícius telling referee François Letexier that Prestianni called him a “monkey.” Letexier halted the match for 11 minutes under FIFA’s anti-racism protocol, with Madrid clinching a 1-0 win after it resumed.

After the game, Vinícius wrote on Instagram: “Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouths with their shirts to show how they are weak.’ 

But in a statement released on social media, Prestianni denied that he had racially abused Vinícius.

“I want to clarify that at no point did I direct racist insults at the player Vinicius Júnior, who unfortunately misinterpreted what he thought he heard,’ the 20-year-old said. ‘I have never been racist towards anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players.”

Benfica has strongly backed its player, posting Prestianni’s statement along with the words: “Together, by your side.”

The Portuguese club added in a statement that Prestianni had been the victim of a ‘defamation campaign.’

“As the images show, given the distance, the Real Madrid players couldn’t have heard what they have been saying that they heard,” Benfica added.

UEFA has announced that it will open an investigation into the incident.

This post appeared first on USA TODAY
0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail

previous post
K-State basketball players react to first win since Tang firing
next post
Warner Bros. Discovery reopens talks with Paramount

You may also like

Sidney Crosby hurt, will not return in Olympic...

February 18, 2026

Chiefs restructure star player’s contract. Here’s why

February 18, 2026

K-State basketball players react to first win since...

February 18, 2026

Shiffrin snaps her Olympic drought, wins gold with...

February 18, 2026

Mexico announces three final World Cup tune-up matches

February 18, 2026

USA Olympians Hilary Knight, Brittany Bowe engaged

February 18, 2026

Is this best USA women’s hockey team ever?...

February 18, 2026

College basketball hot seat: Here are 13 coaches...

February 18, 2026

How high tech ice helped Jordan Stolz set...

February 18, 2026

Broken ankle? Concussion? Slovak Olympian says ‘ice pack...

February 18, 2026
Enter Your Information Below To Receive Free Trading Ideas, Latest News And Articles.

    Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

    Top News

    Warner Bros. Discovery reopens talks with Paramount

    February 18, 2026

    Justice Department’s antitrust chief says she’s leaving, effective...

    February 14, 2026

    Cardi B’s cameo in Bad Bunny’s Super Bowl...

    February 13, 2026

    Retail operator of outdoor sportswear pioneer Eddie Bauer...

    February 12, 2026

    Landmark trial accusing social media companies of addicting...

    February 11, 2026

    • About us
    • Contacts
    • Email Whitelisting
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions

    Copyright © 2025 MarketGainsUpdates.com All Rights Reserved.

    Market Gains Updates
    • Economy
    • Investing
    • Politics
    • Sports
    • Editor’s Pick